Am I the only one who was absolutely gutted when Lady Olenna had to die?
The sassy Queen of Thorns Lady Olenna Tyrell has been always been one of my favorites characters right throughout. Her intelligence and her wit, her cutting remarks and the absolutely admirable way she snubs Cersei and everybody else had me delivering standing ovations every single time.
The defeat of Highgarden was unexpected. Lady Olenna’s death, even more so. I however, do love Jaime for giving her an easy death and I LOVED the way she went down with a bang, with maximum damage to those who are responsible for it – Queen of Thorns style.
She lived elegantly but dangerously, delivering punch after punch at her enemies, subtle but long lasting. This is the kind of grandmother I hope to be, if I am indeed, to live to the ripe old age.
Which is why this rose scented Game of Thrones cocktail is ideal to celebrate all that she is. Sophisticated and feminine, she is a lady of rare intellect who shows no mercy for her enemies but is subtle and calculated in her blows, eloquent in covert affairs. Deadly but composed. Strong yet clothed in the finest robes. This drink for me is Lady Olenna of House Tyrell in a glass.
A Rose for Olenna - A Game of Thrones cocktail
- Gin - 3 parts
- Organic rose water - 3 parts, Good quality (See notes)
- Sweet Vermouth - 1 Part
- Rosemary simple syrup - 1 part (See notes)
- Simply combine all ingredients in a shaker.
- Pour out to a suitable glass and garnish with a rose petal or a dried rose bud.
This sweet and punchy cocktail smells like a rose but stings like a bee. It is a brilliant orchestra of complex flavors – just how Lady Olenna is. Elegant, perfumed and sophisticated, the first sip is delicately fragrant, the punch coming in later to claim you completely sans guard. The rose note is prominent in this while the honey note in Sweet Vermouth enhances the floral nuances of the drink, the herb of Rosemary entwining the notes in a thorny embrace – a thick briar cascading with beautiful roses, accentuated with thorns.
A beautiful and feminine drink, wonderfully potent yet elegant and subtle. Lady Olenna, this is all for you.
- To make rosemary simple syrup, combine 2 parts sugar to 1 part water and 3tsps of dried rosemary. Bring to a boil until the sugar dissolves. Cool and run the mix through a sieve to get rid of the rosemary bits.
- Use only good quality rose water. You can buy organic rose water from the store. However, you can make your own rose water as well.
- To make your own rose water, combine 1 cup of water fresh pesticide-free rose petals and 1 and half cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to boil and reduce heat to a simmer until the petals become almost colorless. Cool completely with lid on and strain through a cheese cloth into a clean bottle. Store in refrigerator.
- If you are plucking your own roses from the garden, pluck them early morning when they are the most fragrant. If using store bought roses, make sure they are organic and pesticide-free.